I think there's something in general to be said about so-called
"folk" techniques and projected early ones. Wrapping the thumb around
the neck and planting the little finger on the top are two examples.
Many "folk" guitarists also play only with thumb and index, although
not necessarily thumb under.  Some Portuguese guitarists do use thumb
under, and dedilho; I've seen fingerstyle guitarists use the latter
technique as well. I used to play with traditional Irish fiddlers;
one day we were approached by a baroque violinist who wanted to talk
to the fiddlers about how they held the violin as it was so similar
to what he thought was the correct baroque position.

Doc Rossi
Element Music
Le Grand Domaine
Boulevard des Dames 26