Dear Mark and all
        I think that is a very interesting comment.
There are photos of Jazz musicians on Jean-Marie's site who appear to
be using
the thumb blocking method, but it could well be that this is
damping : a little like the damper
on a piano in fact. Well in the rock example, I suppose it is
preventing these strings from
picking up vibrations from neighbouring strings.

Yes, I think the idea of damping to obtain a punchy dance style, is
an interesting hypothesis;
and the idea that technique might have been carried on over from the
earlier plectrum playing is at least plausible, and a very
interesting idea
that I will transmit to the French list if I may.
Best regards
Anthony