Sean
        I think, thumb-over is a very good term. I agree, that if there was
only one possible way of
playing the extract in question, then there would be conclusive
proof. At present it seems
a high probability that this was practised, especially as you point
to interesting advantages
of the technique; but , as you say, this does not mean that every one
adopted it.

Mark Wheeler's idea that 'thumb-over' might be a hang over from
plectrum playing also
seems an interesting hypothesis. Then, there is the possibility as he
suggests
that the images might be either of damping or of blocking with the
thumb,
or even sometimes the one, sometimes the other.

The situation as usual, turns out to be more complex than at first
sight;
but doesn't this lead to a much more interesting life.
Thank you for your insight
Anthony