I suppose playing only two notes of the last chord (and getting one of
them wrong) is a tremendouser sin than just changing one of the notes
of the last chord, eh? And yet, considering the setting (and the title
of the music) who is to say? I can't speak for the manuscript that
Forlorn Hope is found in, nor the accuracy of transcription of M.
Veylit's PDF collection, but I found enough errors in both mss and
printed tab (period and modern) to be unable to stand on an absolute
like this. Wrong letters, misplacement by a string, all sorts of
things.

Whence the provenance of this "sin to change a note"?

ray

On Jan 24, 2008 1:48 PM, howard posner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
..
> But if he doesn't like the way Dowland ended the piece, he should
> play another piece instead of dramatically substituting a minor chord
> for the major one Dowland wrote.  I'm sure there's a lot of lute
> music that's inconsequential enough that it's not a great sin to
> tamper with it, but Forlorne Hope isn't in that class.
..