On Jan 24, 2008, at 11:21 AM, Ray Brohinsky wrote:

> I suppose playing only two notes of the last chord (and getting one of
> them wrong)

I'm not following this reference.  It sounds like you're describing
my playing, but I don't think you've ever heard me.

> is a tremendouser sin than just changing one of the notes
> of the last chord, eh?

It's a change in the fundamental character of the ending.

> And yet, considering the setting (and the title
> of the music) who is to say? I can't speak for the manuscript that
> Forlorn Hope is found in, nor the accuracy of transcription of M.
> Veylit's PDF collection, but I found enough errors in both mss and
> printed tab (period and modern) to be unable to stand on an absolute
> like this. Wrong letters, misplacement by a string, all sorts of
> things.

There is one published source (Mertel's Hortus Musicalus Novus) and
one manuscript source in the
Cambridge Library.  Both end in major.  All of Dowland's minor-mode
fantasies end in major.