I expected Count Dracula to pop out from a barrel, that would have been great... and the candles, wow, the candles..

Donatella

To: "Lutelist" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Friday, January 25, 2008 7:52 AM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Karamazov...

Roman Turovsky wrote:
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWvfnGpF-Y

Very good and activating provocation, Roman. You really made the list talk about important and interesting matters. Well done and thanks for that!

And then of course my personal opinions (aren't opinions always personal?). Two views, a) about what I hear, b) about what I see:

a) The musical performance: I think K plays the piece in a very guitaristic (in the 20th century sense) way, vertically, not horizontally More often than the melodies he is playing the chords. This reminds me remotely the way Glenn Gould played some of Bach's polyphony as impressionistic chord progressions. I guess K has very good technique? If he really has, I just wonder why he chooses to play the melodies (well, those fragments in between his chords) not legato, but most often portato. To my ears his melodies (the fragments) also often lack direction and shape. Some notes are actually quite crude and in some notes the sound is nearly absent.

b) The video: To my taste the video is a horrible mixture of spooky B-class movie and a coffee advertisement in TV. I can see that they have tried to be deep and profound. But to me they have only achieved a parody of profoundness; I laughed when seeing the video first time. Sorry!

All the best,

Arto