On Dec 5, 2010, at 8:53 AM, Roman Turovsky wrote:

> Lulli hit himself in the foot while conducting with such strenght that he got
> gangrene and died.
> There you have an illustration of 17th century comportment.

But rather the opposite of what the listers are complaining about with EK.
Lully was conducting a Te Deum for the king's convalescence by banging on the
floor with a wooden staff.  Holding something heavy enough to punch a hole in
his foot, and dressed in the sort of clothes he'd be wearing for a formal state
occasion, his motions would likely have been formal and stiff.  it's hard to
imagine him making dramatic overwrought gestures, even if they were otherwise
acceptable in that culture.  But I wasn't there.