   From: dc <den...@free.fr>
   To: lute-cs.dartmouth.edu <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Sent: Wednesday, 19 October 2011, 9:27
   Subject: [LUTE] BWV 998
   I apologize if this subject has already been discussed here, but I'm
   wondering if Bach's Prelude (marked "Prelude pour la Luth o Cembal),
   Fugue & Allegro BWV 998 is playable as written (i.e. in E flat major,
   with all the low bass notes) on a type of lute Bach might have known.
   If so, what would the tuning (and the range) of such an instrument have
   been? If not, how do scholars interpret or explain "pour la Luth" on
   the manuscript?
   Thanks,
   Dennis