Taco,

--- On Wed, 10/19/11, Taco Walstra <wals...@science.uva.nl> wrote:

> BWV995 is also transposed from g to a but this has more to
> do with the baroque lute string range which will fit better
> in a when using a 13 course.

In modern times, 995 has been transposed from G minor to A minor (Hoppy again,
Paul O'Dette, etc.), but the original two-stave notation was kept in G minor by
the person who made the contemporary tablature arrangement for 13-course lute.
Some have speculated that the transcriber may have been Adam Falckenhagen, but
I have my doubts.  The two-stave version is itself an arrangement of the fifth
suite for solo cello in C minor BWV 1011. Transposition of a fifth/fourth was
very common in the baroque.  In de Visee's music, for example, one finds that
if there is a transposition between any of the various incarnations of his
pieces for guitar, theorbo or in mensural notation, it usually that of a
fifth/fourth.

My own thoughts are that the specific score of the two-stave 995 was probably
intended for a keyboard instrument like a Lautenwerck.  But the notation wasn't
necessarily intended to freeze the music in that state.  We know that lute
players did play Bach's music - particularly this piece - so I don't think he
would have had a problem with luters doing it now.  I've played the
contemporary tablature in G minor and although it is quite difficult and very
awkward in places, it works rather well. I've worked under the assumption that
that person making the arrangement sometime in the 1700's was more of an expert
on baroque music than I.

Chris

Christopher Wilke
Lutenist, Guitarist and Composer