     From: William Samson <willsam...@yahoo.co.uk>
     Subject: [LUTE] Re: BWV 998
     To: "dc" <den...@free.fr>, "lute-cs.dartmouth.edu"
     <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
     Date: Wednesday, 19 October, 2011, 10:09

      I have heard that 'luth o cembal' was perhaps a keyboard instrument
      that sounded like a lute - I've even heard it suggested that it was
      harpsichord strung in gut, but I very much doubt the feasibility of
      such an instrument - It would be a nightmare to keep in tune, as we
      lutenists know only too well.  Sorry I don't have any sources for
   this
      information - just speculative hearsay I'm afraid.  Maybe somebody
   has
      some more concrete information?
      Bill