Good question, Dennis. Interestingly, as Bach was running out of space,
   the last 19 bars of the Allegro movement are written in a more concise
   organ tablature. That would be an odd thing to hand to a lute player to
   play from!

   Hopkinson Smith published (Ut Orpheus Edizioni) an edition in D Major,
   but states in his preface that, were he to do it again he would play it
   in the more 'pastoral' key of Eb. It's not often an editor rubbishes
   his own edition in the Preface! Most players play it in D. Not sure
   about Jacob Lindberg, but I do know that he used different tunings,
   even for the first six courses, based on tunings found at the time of
   Reusner.

   My own position is that Bach wrote all his 'lute' music for his lauten
   clavier - but had lute players, possibly Weiss and other famous
   players, in mind, thinning the texture as compared to his solo keyboard
   pieces. But there again, the thinning out of the texture may have had
   something to do with the muddy sound of his largely gut-string
   keyboard.

   Rob MacKillop