On Oct 19, 2011, at 2:09 AM, William Samson wrote:

>   I have heard that 'luth o cembal' was perhaps a keyboard instrument
>   that sounded like a lute - I've even heard it suggested that it was a
>   harpsichord strung in gut, but I very much doubt the feasibility of
>   such an instrument - It would be a nightmare to keep in tune, as we
>   lutenists know only too well.  Sorry I don't have any sources for this
>   information - just speculative hearsay I'm afraid.  Maybe somebody has
>   some more concrete information?

You can't get much more concrete than Youtube, Source of All Things.

You can find Gergely Sarkozy's recordings of Bach on a lute harpsichord by
going here and nosing around:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygFXZ-L7lHM&feature=related

Kim Heindel's recording of BWV 998 starts here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gcgFMXbVNc&feature=related

and Robert Hill:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXezz_5J6MA&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PLF158FD2CAE1868BC