Tinctorius defines these two instruments thus...

The gittern
-a small tortoise shaped instrument invented by the Catalans which some call ghiterra, others ghiterna The ghiterra is used most rarely, because of the thinness of its sound. When I heard it in Catalonia, it was being used much more often by women, to accompany their love songs, than by men.

The vihuela -

an instrument invented by the Spanish, which both they and the Italians call the viola, but the French the demi-luth. -this viola differs from the lute in that the lute is much larger and tortoise-shaped, while the viola is flat, and in most cases curved inwards on each side.

At some stage the Spanish started calling the small 4-course vihuela a guitarra. The rest as they say is history.

To my convoluted mind there is a bit of a question mark hanging over some of the instruments which Bermudo refers to as a guitarra especially those which he says have five or six courses.

But like so many things - we just can't be sure what these terms refer to and if the music is simply in tablature and all we know is the number of course and the intervals between them we are still really in the dark.

As ever

Monica

Crawford Young (in 'A Performer's  Guide to Medieval Music') lists some of
the names used up until the late 15th century for lute instruments, citole
instruments and gittern instruments. Here are just some from the gittern
list: chitarre, chitarra, quinterna, guisterne, chitarino, quiterne,
ghiterra (not actually 'gittern'!) Here are some more names from medieval
times for the little gittern from  Christian Rault: guinterne, gitarra,
gyterne, ghiterra.

So I don't think that you have to worry that a' chitarra' is a little
lute, it had been a little lute for centuries. The puzzle is why little
figure-of-eight things were called guiterns, guitars etc.

Stuart

The safest thing to say is that there is no surviving Italian repertoire
for the 4-course guitar.

Monica

----- Original Message ----- From: "Martyn Hodgson"
<hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>