There does seem to be some iconography from Italian sources. I realize this
page
http://www.thecipher.com/viola_da_gamba_cipher-3.html
is light on sources but I believe the matching guitar-shaped instrument and
violin intarsia is from the Gonzaga estate c.1507.

The intarsia is about 2/3 down the page just under the Girolamo Dai Libri
detail. It is difficult to count the pegs but the strings do appear doubled.

There are other small vihuela-like plucked instruments on the page of Italian
origin, too.

Sean