At least an aspect of this issue - regarding audiences for the lute and early
music - must deal with the lute as a solo instrument, and its appeal to
audiences in that capacity.  To begin with, how many solo instrumentalists of
any instrument, can expect to play to a large audience?  Certainly pianists,
but who else?  Perhaps guitarists, occasionally.  But probably only if the name
is very familiar.
With, again, the exception of the piano, how many of us can sit down and listen
to an entire evening of a solo instrument?  I left a Hopkinson Smith lute
concert at intermission because 40 minutes of solo lute was enough for one
evening (though oddly enough, a later concert by him playing baroque guitar
maintained my interest better).  And that was in a fairly small, intimate room.
No matter the quality of the music, I think only the piano offers enough
expressive range, and variety of repertory,  to sustain consistent interest
over a two hour program - as a solo instrument and for a significant portion of
musical audiences.
Ensemble music, therefore, is where I see audiences for early music.
Especially with the mix of voices and instruments, early music has the
potential to be an exciting and robust musical experience for diverse audiences.

Ned