Tom,

    I am by no means opposed to the idea of reaching out to other groups, but I
have to say I am very skeptical about the SCA. By including the word
"anachronism" in the title of the organization, they say quite openly that they
are all about intentional historical inaccuracy. Meanwhile, we are about being
"historically informed." Despite some (very) superficial similarities, then,
our groups are really after two diametrically opposed goals.

     Then there's the double issue of the word "Creative" in their name. Lordy,
we've got people expostulating on the size of the proper theorbo, what
stringing one is permitted to use on a baroque guitar, and how all competent
musicians must be able to sight read plainchant neumes backwards and upside
down on the tromba marina while transposing accurately by within 2 cents and
simultaneously gargling the contra tenor from the Sanctus of DuFay's "Missa
L'homme Arme" in augmentation. So, in other words, creativity is most unwelcome
here.

Chris

Dr. Christopher Wilke D.M.A.
Lutenist, Guitarist and Composer