Stephen,

     I think you are correct. This is essentially what I was getting at about
the concert fee for less-than-established artists. Paul O'Dette, Hoppy Smith,
Nigel North and Bob Barto are all about the same age. When they were my age,
they were already well regarded. Looking around, however, I know of no lute
players in my age group who have comparably established reputations. Make no
mistake: all of these guys are still making interesting, vital music of the
highest caliber. I hope and expect they will continue to do so for many years
to come.

     But there has to be fertile ground to nourish a new guard, too. The big
guys may not be getting all they're worth, but, at the fees offered to the
second string players, concertizing can be downright unfeasible. If players
can't get out in front of people, it is hard to build a following. Once the
four players mentioned at the top of this message become less active, will
there be players to take their places?

Chris

Dr. Christopher Wilke D.M.A.
Lutenist, Guitarist and Composer