More lacking than glue-on-nails might have been some of the modern files and
abrasives used to polish the nails. Badly prepared nails give a terrible result
for both sound and playability. My teacher back in 1965 had studied with
Segovia, and showed me how Segovia prepared his nails: after some filing, he
used a wooden block with a saw-cut slot in it and a piece of chamois wrapped
around the wooden block. The nail was then rubbed back and forth on the chamois
over the slot, which acted as a track to guide the nail. When I began to study
metallurgy and the art of cross-sectioning and polishing metals to view their
microstructure, I experienced a revolution in materials to polish the nails
that were quickly adopted by many people playing with nails.

A. John Mardinly, Ph.D., P.E.