Dear collective wisdom,
   From what I have understood, it seems like manicure has been around
   since  at least 3200 BC, so I assume players like Piccinini, Corbetta
   (who we know had
   to cancel one of his concerts due to a broken nail- and still pay his
   fellow musicians from his own pocket!) and perhaps de Visée had found
   a way for them to get it to work without shredding and tearing their
   strings apart constantly, and - to quote Piccinini:

   "the one, and very important [thing] is to play neatly, and cleanly; In
   the manner that all small touches of the string may be schietto, like
   pearl[s]"
   /Magnus

   On Tuesday, May 7, 2019, 10:45:44 PM GMT+2, John Mardinly