Bo Peng wrote:
Your agument is amazingly similar to Richard's "A world's simplest
script can solve this". I will not argue here but I would remind you
that LyX is used by many users, many of whom do not know how to write
a script, or know such an advanced feature of svn. The KISS idea
should be applied mostly to them, not us.
What this really mean is that you didn't really understand Richard's
argument. The svn helper script would of course be written and distributed
by us, not by the casual user. For example svn knows how to call MSWord or
OOffice to generate a track change enabled diff. That's what I propose, a
python script that knows how to unbundle/unembed, that knows about lyx2lyx
and also (ideally) about track change.

And for cvs users, and for git users, and for mecurial users?
All of them can use external programs for the diff function. The script will be exactly the same.

 Do you
expect our installer or users to install these scripts? What business
are we in?
The same as all other word processors.

I was not saying that you should choose my proposal because of this,
you do not really care and you can solve this problem if you have to.
All I wanted to say is that from this particular aspect, base64 has an
advantage over zip, you can not simply deny it. You can put a zero
weight for this particular problem when you vote for an embedding
implementation, others may put more.

I would take that as you oppose the visible filename.lyxdir idea. I
remember you said that before though.
Yes, for the casual user I said that and still think so. But this also
demonstrates that you didn't take enough attention to Richard's
argumentation. One of the point was that this directory would be by default
hidden in the temp directory. Only the advanced user will know that this
.lyz file is really a zip archive and will then be able to work directly
with it by unzipping it inline if he wants to.

No. If this is the case, Richard should have put it to the wiki.
I didn't read all the messages but I am pretty sure Richard said exactly what I am saying, JMarc AFAIR.

We have decided to postpone this feature so we should stop here. We
can resume this discussion after 1.6.0 is released. However, at that
time, I hope you will have some clear understanding of what exactly
you are offering.
Well I think I do now but you're right, let's postpone this discussion until you get some more temper :-)
Sorry for resuming (again!) the discussion.

Abdel.