>>  of my approach is
>> that there is no bundled mode, and there is no unbundle. The file is
>> continued to be svn friendly, and nobody would svn a compressed
>> bundle.
>
> OK, replace 'bundled' with 'embedded' and you get the same result: there is
> no need to be svn friendly, I mean at all.

It is at least import to me. I svn every files and I svn diff regularly.

> Second, even if you (or someone else) insist on this issue, we are talking
> about diff friendly here, not svn. Svn doesn't really care if the file is
> text or binary. FYI you can configure svn to use any helper application
> besides diff. We could for example create a python script that would diff
> two bundled files and provide a file with track change, or simply the text
> diff of the text part of the .lyx file. Those are really no issue IMO.

My approach is 'svn diff' friendly in the sense that no extra work is
needed from users.

Your agument is amazingly similar to Richard's "A world's simplest
script can solve this". I will not argue here but I would remind you
that LyX is used by many users, many of whom do not know how to write
a script, or know such an advanced feature of svn. The KISS idea
should be applied mostly to them, not us.

> Sorry, but I think that's the only correct way to work (unbundling or
> unembedding before putting in svn). I only see the bundled format as a
> "portable" lyx for the SCM impaired ;-)

I would take that as you oppose the visible filename.lyxdir idea. I
remember you said that before though.

And you do not care about an easier way to unbundle? It is in my proposal. :-)

> Enough said, let's fix some bugs in trunk for a change :-)

Agreed.

Bo