On 02/10/14, 14:59 , stefano franchi wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 3:41 AM, Rainer M Krug <rai...@krugs.de
> <mailto:rai...@krugs.de>> wrote:
>

>     On 02/09/14, 19:44 , Georg Baum wrote:
>     > Rainer M Krug wrote:
>     >
>     >> The idea would be that a round-trip framework is envisaged, which
>     >> provides the facilities to easily expand it from one export backend
>     >> (docx) to another (possibly odt? markdown?).
>     >>
>     >> IMPORTANT: this would NOT change ANYTHING in the existing export /
>     >> import features, as these are geared to export / import the
>     documents as
>     >> good as possible, with maintaining as many features as possible
>     in the
>     >> document.
>     >>
>     >> The round-trip would guarantee that:
>     >>
>     >> A document authored in LyX would result in a e.g. docx with a LIMITED
>     >> set of features, but that a re-import would result in the SAME .lyx
>     >> file. features and formats not supported by the backend should be
>     stored
>     >> in a metadata file.
>     >>
>     >> The important point here is *limited set of features*!
>     >>
>     >> In addition, the framework should be easily, possibly only by using
>     >> config files, able to be extended to other formats.
>     >
>     > I don't understand the difference between round trip and the existing
>     > export/import here. Why is it important? If the additional metadata is
>     > stored in a different file, it could simply be generated for the
>     standard
>     > export, and be used by the standard import (if it exists).
>     >
>     > The goal of the export/import is to support as many features as
>     possible.
>     > This is needed for round trip as well. The only difference I see
>     is the
>     > additional metadata file, so the roundtrip framework vs. export/import
>     > difference reduces to a switch whether the metadata file should be
>     generated
>     > (for export) or used (for import). Or did I understand anything wrong?
>
>     The difference is that for round-trip, i.e. working together with
>     co-authors and getting comments back, a different set of features are
>     relevant. These are mainly concerned about content and not that much
>     formating. The import - export is concerned with both. In addition, a
>     round trip has to be symmetric, i.e. that exported features have to be
>     available in the re-importd as well - this is not the case in the export
>     and import. Lastly, round-trip is for editing, and export - import is
>     for editing and final consumption (reading).
>

> I actually disagree on this point: the most useful doc-export facility
> for LyX would be equally focused on semantic content and not on
> [...]

Only partial disagreement - In the case you describe below, the export
to semantic, which is equal to the round-trip export, would be the end
product.

So let's call it a "semantic exporter" versus a "complete exporter" (as
the one used export to for LaTeX).

> In other words, it would be just half (or slightly less than
> half) of the round-trip project. The rationale is simple: exporting to
> doc(x) makes sense and is actually required when working with a third
> party (typically, for  Lyx's main audience, with a publisher) who will
> then either provide final formatting directly with Word (the worst case)
> or will use the doc(x) file as import into a real typesetting program
> (InDesign, etc). In neither case formatting instructions are relevant. I
> think it is a losing proposition to aim for the preservation of format
> when exporting to Word---and in fact it is the reason why, in my
> experience, *all* latex-to- word- (or to-odt) or lyx-to-word exporters
> actually fail in practice. It is impossibly hard to provide the same pdf
> look that (la)tex produces with Word. And the use cases in which this
> conversion is required are exceedingly rare. Far more pressing for our
> user base is the need to guarantee a hassle-free 100% valid export to a
> "sanitized word format" which is narrowly restricted, on both sides, to
> the semantic information contained in LyX.
>
> To put it more bluntly (and to repeat what I and others have stated many
> times in the past): LyX is  barely usable right now for any academic
> work in the Humanities, due to the necessity to deliver doc documents to
> virtually any publisher. If you are a student, you are similarly asked
> by professor to submit drafts in Word format.
>
> </rant>I had to convert a ~50,000 words book from LyX to Word last month
> and it took me 2 full days. I think I tried all exporters known to men
> (and women). They all failed to various degrees. In the end, I had
> better luck converting the file from the pdf (!!!!!) output to word and
> then reinserting manually all footnotes (all 450 of them).  I am facing
> the prospect of converting a 200,000 words manuscript in a few months
> and I am already sweating at night at the very idea. <\rant>
>
> Anyway: I am willing to "mentor" a student through the process of
> producing a LyX-to-Word semantic-only exporter. Scare quotes are
> necessary, because I would have to learn as much as the student. If Rob
> can provide some guidance and expert advice (both as a previous mentor
> and obviously as an expert in the area) I think we may have something
> working by the end of the summer. What I know is that *I* will
> absolutely a solid word-exporter by that time.

That would be brilliant, and about half of the round-trip story. The
meta-data could be build around the semantic exporter afterwards, if the
features which are exported are documented properly, and the sematic
importer could also be build later.

Cheers,

Rainer

> Cheers,
>
> Stefano
>

> --
> Stefano Franchi
> Associate Research Professor
> Department of Hispanic Studies         Ph:   +1 (979) 845-2125
> Texas A&M University                          Fax:  +1 (979) 845-6421
> College Station, Texas, USA
>
> stef...@tamu.edu <mailto:stef...@tamu.edu>
> http://stefano.cleinias.org

Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)