On 02/07/14, 17:35 , Rob Oakes wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi Rob,

good to hear from you on this topic.

> I have been following conversations with significant interest. I
> started a new job in the middle of last year. That combined with an
> 18-month old little boy have left me almost no time for
> extracurriculars. There is no way I can realistically mentor a student
> this year. I tried really hard last year, and the effor didn't turn out
> quite so well.
>
> With that said, I would be happy to provide some support to a student
> who might be trying to work on a round-trip Python module, or on the
> non-linear writing project. If someone else were to be primary mentor,
> I could certainly answer questions.
>
> Re: Round-Tripping
>
> As others in the thread have mentioned, I think the magic happens in
> the export from LyX to Word. There are places where meta-data can be
> placed in DOCX so that we can try and preserve LyX-specific features
> through a round trip; and if we focus on semantic markup only, I think
> we can do a pretty good job of maintaining content.

This is exactly what I think the round-triop has to focus on: semantic
markup to maintain the content and to have it available after edits for
re-import.

> I think this means that we would need our own library to handle the
> export. Most of the other modules out there do a very poor job of
> handling semantic markup, and instead try and get the styling right.
> That way madness lies. The Python module I started hacking on for the
> import provides some support for generating docx, but this would need
> to be beefed up pretty heavily. Moreover, it would be a really good
> idea to make use of XSLT stylesheets to handle the transformation from
> docx to LyX, instead of the Python approach I took.

This is why I also think that round-trip is a different story then
export - import. Different aspects of the document are relevant and need
to be preserved.

> On another note, you should also probably have a discussion about how
> you want to handle maths. The math XML vocabulary in docx is pretty
> well contained, but it would still be an enormous job to translate it
> to LyX/LaTeX. For export, we might make use of the MathML support LyX
> already supports, and then translate thtat to docx math XML. There may
> even be XSLT to do that.

I can't comment here, but I think that it would be nice to have this,
and in many cases this might be absolutely essential, but it could be
addad at a later stage, when the basic round-trip features are in place.
But it should definitely be considered.

Cheers,

Rainer

> Cheers,