Am Montag, 23. November 2015 um 13:09:40, schrieb Guenter Milde
<mi...@users.sf.net>
> Dear Kornel and Scott (and everyone else interested in export tests),
>
> On 2015-11-22, Kornel Benko wrote:
>

> > We apparently don't understand each other.
>
> Indeed, there is a misunderstanding, but I believe to be a bit wiser now.
> Please correct me where I am still wrong.
>

> > For me, ignored test is ignored, that is, the test is not even created.
>
> > The ctest machinery (not our usage of it) runs _all_ created tests with
> > 'ctest' (without any parameter).
>
> For me, a "test case" or "potential test" is some a combination of
>
>  - document
>  - output format
>  - scripted changes (like systemF: "set the used font to non-TeX-fonts")
>
> The general rule:
>
>   Create a "test instance" for
>   * every document matching  lib/(doc|templates|examples)/*.lyx!

All but ignored.

>   * with every output format (dvi.?|ps|pdf.?|html)

Only if the output format is 'default'. (html + lyx12 are always included)

>   * with system Fonts and TeX Fonts (for dvi3|pdf4|pdf5)

Yes.

> expands to a list of "potential tests" where either
>
>  a) expect successful export,
>  b) expect an export error, or
>  c) don't care (because whether there is an export error does not
>     correlate with a (new) problem in LyX)

> Case a) is the default.
> Exceptions are defined via regular expressions in
>
>  b) development/autotests/revertedTests
>  c) development/autotests/ignoredTests
>

> The usual test run after a commit should detect regressions and therefore
> run all "potential tests" in a) and b) but not c).
> This means it must not "create a test" for for the "to be ignored
> possible tests" in c).
>

> Up to here, I hope we can agree.

Partly. I made the comments where I think it should be more precise.

> Now to the differences. I hope we can get them sorted out -- maybe this are
> also just misunderstandings?
>

> On 2015-11-20, Kornel Benko wrote:
> > Am 20. November 2015 um 11:20:54, schrieb Guenter Milde <mi...@users.sf.net>

> >> * ignored           # we don't care for the result and hence don't run
> >>                     # these test cases
> >    Yes
>
> >>   - wrong output    # the output is wrong although export returns success.
> >>                            # not LyX's fault, but e.g. incompatible
> >> packages.
> >    OK
>
> >>   - nofix           # "historic" packages with bugs that prevent working
> >>                            # with some export routes.
> >    OK
>
> >>   - nonstandard     # requires packages or similar that are not on CTAN
> >    Do not ignore them. They _are_ compilable at the end.
>
> >>   - suspended       # - non-LyX bugs that may be resolved (works depending
> >> on
> >>                     #   TeXLive version).
> >                               like XeTeX ... haha
>
> >>                    # - problems that we currently cannot solve but want to.
>
> >    Yes, but not ignore.
>

> Here, we do have 2 categories where the suggestion to ignore them was met by
> the objection
>
> > To make it clear: Everything ignored cannot be tested.
> > If we want to see, if anything changed (like XeTeX), we should be able
> > to retest.
>
> My response that I consider this limitation a fundamental flaw in the test
> machinery because
>
> >> We need a category and rule-set for tests where:
>
> >> * we don't care for the result because it does not tell us anything about
> >>   the "healthiness" of LyX and hence don't run them normally, but
>
> >> * we may want to run them on special request (because we know the phase of
> >>   the moon or have installed a special package or want to check the status
> >>   of upstream packages or fixed a nofix bug).
>
> was answered with
>
> > In this case we can just compare the before results with the results
> > after clearing the ignoredTests file.
>
> Well, then it should be possible to
>
> * have regular expressions for "potential tests" that meet the criteria
>   for "suspended" or "nonstandard" in development/autotests/ignoredTests

You probably mean development/autotests/revertedTests here.

suspended is subset of reverted (and therefore inverted).
nonstandard is subset of all exports (but ignored)
Nonstandard test should not be part of reverted.
(and cannot be, even if regex from revertedTests signals otherwise)
It doesn't make sense to expect defined result here.

I must confess, that I don't understand what you mean with "potential tests".
You can always select what you want to test.

For instance 'ctest -R texF' tests everything using tex fonts, independent of
if the test is part of suspended, reverted or nonstandard.

So after update of, say luatex, we could use 'ctest -R "dvi3|pdf5"' to check if
any
relevant tests changed its compilation result.

>   and
> * clear or override them when there is a special interest in the (normally
>   irrelevant) export failure or success.

> Maybe an command line option (--force, say) to bypass the check against
> development/autotests/ignoredTests

Not possible for 'ctest' command.

That would be possible only at configuration time ('cmake command'). As soon as
makefiles are built, it is
only possible to control it through environment variables. The underlying perl
script
could respect them. But I don't feel comfortable with such solution.

> My vision for the output of a "normal" test run would be
>
> * report all tests that fail our expectations, i.e.
>
>   - in category a) if there is an export error
>   - in category b) if there is no export error
>
>   ideally with error message for a).

That is not possible. All messages go to Testing/Temporary/LastTest.log. One has
to extract them from there after the test(s) is/are run.

>   These failing tests would be regressions calling for action
>   (solve the problem or suspend the test case).

Yes.

> * optionally, report "suspended" tests

Yes, suspended/reverted tests are waiting for success.

>   This would be summary of postponed TODO items.

You didn't mention tests which works on some systems but not on others.

> Günter

        Kornel