On 05/01/12 09:41, Jerry wrote:

> On Jan 5, 2012, at 1:26 AM, Olivier Ripoll wrote:
>
>> On 04.01.2012 22:39, Jerry wrote:
>>>
>>> On Jan 4, 2012, at 8:46 AM, James Sutherland wrote:
>> [...]
>>>
>>> No—I'm on OS X 10.6.8. Jerry

>> If the issue I reported is the same (it seems the definition of
>> "slow scrolling" can cover different behaviours), it happens also
>> on Windows 7.
>>
>> BR,
>>
>> O.
>>
> Interesting. So now we have reports of slow scrolling problems on
> multiple versions of OS X and multiple versions of Windows, where
> the problem got worse with 2.0.2 relative to 2.0.1.
>
> I don't think we have any reports of problems on Linux yet. Don't
> some versions of Linux use Qt as their native GUI engine? If so,
> maybe somehow there is less chance to mess things up since it would
> then be the native engine for those systems.

Slow scrolling and skipping are subjective - maybe the problem does
exist under Linux, b ut the Linux users are more tolerant :-) (I use
Linux...)

But seriously: to really evaluate this, one would possibly need screen
recordings of the actual scrolling and one person can evaluate them.
Or installation of the OS in a virtual machine, and then checking (but
this would not be representative for all systems).

So I guess a "howto" to record the actual scrolling on screen and a
website where this can be posted, should help.

Cheers,

Rainer

> For those who have reported "no problems" I would respectfully
> submit that your perception is different than that of others and/or
> your tolerance for interface idiosyncrasies is better or you have
> lower expectations. For anyone who cares to compare and who doesn't
> think their (OS X) box has a problem, simply open any PDF into
> Preview or Skim or any significantly long text file in TextEdit and
> flick through it with the two-finger trackpad swipe or whatever
> equivalent you have with a mouse, then try the same with a LyX
> file. You should see a world of difference. Personally, the
> two-finger swipe to scroll is totally addictive and so effective
> that often I use that as a shortcut to go all the way to the top or
> bottom of a document instead of using other means.
>
> Jerry

- --
Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Stellenbosch University