Note, those directions are just the latest versions of everything I could
find. But as far as I can tell, and I think Stephen said as much in a post
sometime, that all the updates take the form of a full write, meaning you
can use any update also as a fresh/initial load or downgrade, not just to
update.

So the end-user can switch to any version they want with no special tools
or software.

So if you want one of the earlier versions instead of the last build number
of 4.9, you should be able to just install it, either as the builder doing
it the first time, or as the end-user wanting something different than what
the builder loaded.

To flash any version of the firmware, you only need:

* the update files (see bitchin100 and Stephen's directory on club100)

* a modern pc (any os) running a tpdd server (laddie alpha, dlplus, etc)

* serial connection (9f-25m "modem" cable, 9pin mini null-modem adapter,
any usb-serial adapter)

And you needed all that stuff anyway just to load ordinary software. The
end-user can do it any time.

You only need the special Xilinx programmer and software the very first
time you program the cpld (or I suppose if the cpld somehow ever gets wiped
or corrupted), so only the builder needs that, not the user.