Windows XP setup of a custom baud (IE 76800) using the FTDI FT232RL chip is
actually not that bad.

I'll put a little how-to at bitchin100.  Basically what you do is edit the
driver so that the one of the "windows standard" rates becomes spoofed to
run at the modified rate.  You just have to remember which one was
customized because there is no way to know from the typical config screen.

I was able to find an FTDI based USB to RS-232 adapter locally at a store
that still allows walk-up (not in!) business.
https://www.startech.com/ca/Cards-Adapters/Serial-Cards-Adapters/1-Port-USB-Serial-RS232-Adapter-Cable~ICUSB2321F