On Thursday, November 21, 2002, at 06:27  PM, Heather Madrone wrote:

Does anyone have _Mac OS X for Unix Geeks_ (O'Reilly, US $24.95)
by Brian Jepson and Ernest E. Rothman?  It has a great title,
but I've had mixed experiences with O'Reilly books.  If you have
it or have seen it, is it worth the money?
I just bought it about a week ago, and have read about half of it so far. Its focus really is on the parts of OS X/Darwin that are different from other Unix distributions, and it's pretty OK all in all. There's a good discussion on plists and Netinfo, but the book also says that Netinfo is going away in favor of traditional /etc files so I'm not sure how useful that will be in even the short run. There's a big chunk on running X Windows if that's something you want to do, and it covers Fink. There seems to be a lot of "Here's 2 pages of Unix commands that OS X supports" without going into a lot of detail on exactly what they do.... I guess you should read the man pages, but if I wanted to read the man pages I wouldn't have bought the book.

Is it interesting and informative? Yes. Would my OS X life be eternally impoverished if I didn't read it? No. Most importantly, would I shell out the $24.95 again? Well, yeah, probably, but then I'm not really that knowledgeable about Unix (I know more than some, less than most). If I were a REAL Unix Guru (with Solaris, Linux, BSD, etc.) I don't think the book would have been worth it.

Hope this helps, and congrats on getting your development environment moved over. :-)

---
Gary Blackburn
[EMAIL PROTECTED]