On Thursday, November 21, 2002, at 06:21  PM, Heather Madrone wrote:

Have you tried putting it into ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist?
I did try that, and emacs doesn't look at it.  I'm thinking
that there might be somewhere in /etc that I might try, but
I've been frying other fish.

Perhaps it doesn't look because I've been launching emacs
from the dock.  At some point, I'll look further into it,
but right now my eye is turned to the majordomo port and
to getting fetchmail/sendmail/procmail to work with Eudora.
Emacs doesn't look at ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist, but Mac OS X does. You have to log out and then log back in in order for your changes to this file to take affect -- they're loaded at when you login. Also, try launching Emacs from the terminal (This is my /usr/local/bin/emacs file, BTW):

#!/bin/sh
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs "$@"

That should absolutely work. But then, if you can put it in .emacs, then it
will work on any Emacs on any platform, so that might be a better, more
generalized solution.
It also won't be propagated to other gui applications that
don't need it, so it might be cleaner.
Right.

Regards,

David
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                 ICQ: 15726394
http://david.wheeler.net/                      Yahoo!: dew7e
                                               Jabber: [EMAIL PROTECTED]