In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gary Blackburn) wrote:

> "In Mac OS X 10.1.x and earlier, the system was configure to consult
> the Netinfo database for all directory information...However, in Mac OS
> X 10.2 (Jaguar), NetInfo functions more as a legacy protocol. Instead
> of being a major player in the directory services world, NetInfo's role
> has been reduced to that of the local directory database for machines
> that are not participating in a network-wide directory, such as Active
> Directory or OpenLDAP. NetInfo is still present on Mac OS X systems,
> but you can perform most configuration tasks by editing the standard
> Unix flat files."
>
> Can't speak to how popular or well-regarded NetInfo is, but there you
> go... the book is a "Recommended Title" from the Apple Developer
> Connection, so I'm assuming the authors are speaking the truth...

I wouldn't.  It sounds like speculation to me.  Yes, they have moved to flat
files as the defaults for some things, but that doesn't indicate that
NetInfo is going away.  Note that your Mac OS X user name is not in
/etc/passwd in *any* version of Mac OS X, including 10.2.  There has been no
indication I am aware of that this is changing any time soon.

My guess is that wanting to edit /etc/hosts was so common that they simply
changed the lookupd order to accomodate the preferences of the greatest
number of people (many of us changed the lookupd order on our own in
previous versions of Mac OS X), and that this is not a reflection on NetInfo
in general.

--
Chris Nandor                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://pudge.net/
Open Source Development Network    [EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://osdn.com/