On Thursday, November 21, 2002, at 03:27  PM, Heather Madrone wrote:

Thanks to everyone on this list for all their helpful suggestions.
I still haven't managed to get emacs to import the locale correctly.
It doesn't appear to read any of the profiles before launching.
I think I'm going to need to do it in .emacs, but I haven't looked
into it in greater detail.
Have you tried putting it into ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist? That should absolutely work. But then, if you can put it in .emacs, then it will work on any Emacs on any platform, so that might be a better, more generalized solution.

And more questions:

Does anyone have _Mac OS X for Unix Geeks_ (O'Reilly, US $24.95)
by Brian Jepson and Ernest E. Rothman?  It has a great title,
but I've had mixed experiences with O'Reilly books.  If you have
it or have seen it, is it worth the money?
I love O'Reilly books, and while I haven't read this book, I did hear from one person (who has an inside track on such things) that this book isn't nearly as good as it ought to be. Pity.

"Learning Unix for Mac OS X" isn't bad, if you'd like a brief introduction to Unix on OS X.

HTH,

David

--
David Wheeler AIM: dwTheory