Seeing as this has devolved into an editor love-fest, rather than curse the darkness and that weird gas odor, I'll light a candle & brighten things a bit more. (Or mangle metaphors, or something. I'll stop now.)

I've been putting a copy of SubEthaEdit on all the Macs at work for a while now, but none of them seemed to use it until recently -- they were all just using BBEdit. But then someone noticed the networking abilities in SEE, and they've quickly started using it for collaborating on documents, interacting with people elsewhere in the office or over the internet, or even as a weird, hyperactive chat framework.

I don't know of any other editor, on any platform, that can do the clever networking tricks that SubEthaEdit provides. You can have an arbitrary number of users simultaneously making multiple edits to a document with an indepentend insertion point into that document for each user, and everything happens live as everyone types. This can obviously get pretty chaotic, but as long as people follow a little bit of decorum (don't carelessly mess with each other's edits) then it isn't too bad.

In theory it should be possible to get other editors hooked into the protocol that SEE uses, so that "real" editors like Vim, Emacs, and BBEdit can participate, but for now and for the foreseeable future, this capability is only available in SEE. That alone makes it worth using.

Aside from that, it's a solid but mostly standard editor. It does things like automatic syntax highlighting and preservation of indent level (i.e. it will carry over from the previous line, but doesn't seem to have magic for increasing or decreasing at block boundaries); it can provide a web formatted version of HTML code; it provides regex search & replace capabilities; and it has some kind of support for managing changes to a document, though I haven't played with this feature.

Learn more here: <http://www.codingmonkeys.de/subethaedit/>

-- Chris Devers