On Tuesday February 10 2015 10:49:40 Arno Hautala wrote:

>list. There's no way to ensure they *won't* get a message.

Not by sending to the list, no. But there's always the option of sending to a
hand-picked selection of list members, if there's a reason to limit the
audience.

>Censoring the addresses has problems. If you obscure the server
>portion it can be fairly easy to guess that rjvbertin@g... might be

I'm paranoiac too and very careful about my address, but members of the list
already have my address. The only exception are those who never send emails and
are thus unknown to the rest of us (and if anything it's those members I'd
suspect first if ever we were to learn of harvesting of member addresses). The
whole idea behind partial censoring or munging of addressing is that no matter
how easy it might be for a human operator to guess the correct address, that's
unlikely to be true for automatic harvesters.

Portfile maintainers store their addresses in the form provider:username in the
Portfile, and the CVS leaves the full unaltered address in an additional entry.
Those files are accessible for anyone on the interweb, and contrary to what I
just said, provider:username must be quite easy to parse for a robot.

>list, that I post to, and is archived publicly. If this were to be

>would have to be opt-in. And at least for the proposed purpose,
>doesn't that defeat the goal?

>It's this "interesting info" that I find creepy. The only scenarios
>that I can think of where it's useful are to advertisers. I don't see

I said interesting, not useful! Knowing that someone is from 12 timezones away
can be useful in certain cases though, for the rest , well, it's part of the
stats that could somehow be useful to project maintainers.

>Maybe I'm just getting more cynical and codgerly.

Just paranoid ;)

>It'd probably be easier to just set up a MacPorts forum / subreddit
>and deal with the additional complexity of another destination for
>help and support.

In fact, I'd be very much in favour of that. Between that and a ML, I much
prefer to have a browser window that shows me "new posts since last visit" and
emails that alert me (and show the content of) new messages in a thread I
participate in.
It typically also allows post authors to edit their prose, should a need for
that arise.

Of course it would be the rat's ass (or whatever they say:)) if you could reply
to such alerts by email and have it added to the forum thread (as is the case
with google's tracker).

R.