You must be talking about a different Mailman, as on my site I get:
No manual entry for mailman

Mailman 2.x, at least, stores its data in Python pickles, not SQL databases.
Although I know about a third-party command-line tool (called mailmanadmin)
which does most moderation from the shell or cron, it’s still not as beauteous
as the Ecartis approach of copy-pasting moderation commands into an email
message and sending them off; you still need to connect to the remote machine
and run the tool.  Perhaps Mailman 3.x is different, but it’s still under
development, so not for me.

Anyway, to keep this relevant, Mailman is how this list started.  Perhaps it
would be a better place for it to end up.  OS X can handle Mailman’s interface
quite nicely using Safari and VoiceOver.