I don’t agree that executives shouldn’t know about accessibility.  They may not
know the details, but they ought to understand the urgency and importance.
Steve Jobs was once the CEO of Apple and he demoed the latest products for his
admiring audience; he didn’t palm the job off to his engineers.  If Steve Jobs
could understand what made Apple products great, then so can his underlings,
past and future.

As for the comment that VoiceOver is merely one part of accessibility, that may
be completely accurate, but it’s irrelevant to a discussion about quality
control.  We are the customers and we expect a great experience while using
VoiceOver.  Perhaps you accept that a mainstream company can never deliver the
quality expected of an accessibility company, but others might not.  To these
people, Apple’s offering is inferior and you are endorsing the view that we
should merely be grateful for an inferior alternative instead of what we
deserve.  I am one of these people.  I want and expect VoiceOver to be
indistinguishable in quality from fully-paid Windows screen readers, and fear
that Apple’s internalising of VoiceOver puts it under unwelcome business
pressures that adversely affect us, particularly in recent times, and not just
for an initial release either.  I would prefer not to move to Windows, but if I
did, it would only because I finally accepted that Apple’s strategy was
untenable.