Ok to be fair, they had to get something decent out of the bag quickly.
Android and Apple caught Nokia and Microsoft with their pants down.  Nobody in
the business expected Google and Apple to topple these boys.  Even RIM are
running scared and finally being more creative than they have ever been.

Apple's first 2 releases did not contain accessibility either.  Maybe Microsoft
are playing catch up and who knows maybe their next big release for the mobile
platform may be more accessible.

Microsoft Office for Mac is in a different class, it is already established and
finally now completely on par with Office 2010 for Windows (minus Publisher and
Access of course)  So it is not as though Microsoft are going to have to
rewrite Office for Mac and add many new features to play catch up with its
Windows  cousin.  The majority of Office is now Cocoa, not sure if it is 64 bit
though, so hopefully threading accessibility support into Office might not be
too difficult.  But they need to know enough of us really want it, or why would
they add it?  They are a business at the end of the day and will add features
customers want to sell new versions of the product.  By adding compatibility to
the Windows version and reinstating Outlook were the  biggest feature requests
from their customers.  Let's make accessibility the biggest feature request for
their next update / release.

Chris