Oh I agree! I can remember, from a few years ago, a conversation I had with a
new assistant-teacher at the school for the blind that I attend. It was about
spreadsheets and things like that. He wanted to know if I could access them on
my braille note. Of course, that can't be done, and he was surprised by it, I
think. And that made me stop and think about how truly locked in we are on
those systems. If you wanted to play .ogg files on your braille note, too bad!
Humanware isn't too fond of open formats. Nope, you can't install an app to fix
that, or to even open .ogg files. You can't install codecs or anything to allow
the "media player" to play it. You'll have to use a computer to convert the
file to mp3 and all that wonderful stuff. There are countless other things that
the Braille note locks you out of, but that's just one of many. That's why when
people start whining about how iOs is so locked down, I think "uh, you haven't
seen anything until you look at the blindness specific products". And because
the blindy products can only be improved by the makers, they are very out of
date. The braille plus 18 did it slightly better, but until they get all their
bugs fixed, and update to android 4.2, they'll still be out-of-date. And don't
get me started on the screen readers. When I got my first computer, a Dell
laptop, I thought Window-eyes was so amazing and cool. Now though, we at our
school rarely even use it. Now,we mostly use flaws, and even though I've told
people time and time again that NVDA is good if you'll learn to use it, they
still stick with the shark. The latest version implemented Vocalizer voices,
which were already used in NVDA months earlier, and in Apple products years
earlier. And even those voices aren't as good as Apple's in my opinion. The
only thing I might miss from the windows world is Dectalk, but the Macintalk
voices like Ralph and such are very close to Dectalk, so I'm not complaining.
That's another thing I love about Apple. They rarely throw things away, they
just improve upon things. I am currently using the Zarvox voice, and do love
it, I use it sometimes when I have a headache and want a smooth voice. That's
another thing. With many of the note takers, you can only use Eloquence.
Personally, Eloquence has never been that remarkable to me. Its good, I
suppose, but I don't see much amazingness in it besides supporting many
languages, which eSpeak completely blows it away there, Vocalizer does too. Now
though, some notetakers are switching to Ivona, which is a little better, but
I'd prefer seroproc over that, at least from the demos and the Bushomatic
thing, I could never get the live demo bar to work. So, I think that if
notetaker companies would just make or use better operating systems, and not
stick with the Windows CE stuff, which is out of date by like 3 or so years,
then we'd probably have a better playing field. APH has gone a little better,
in the original braille plus, they used Linux. In the BP18, they are using
Android, but the software is still buggy, so I wouldn't recommend it at this
time. But I think the company that should be held the highest in regard is
Apple. Yes, I know, we've talked all about how they're so amazing and good, but
truly, they've given us almost everything we could want as far as hardware and
accessibility. We have computers, desktop and laptop, which are ALL accessible.
We have phones, which are under the cost of a few cars and a mansion, no more
mobile speak or talks. We have a PDA or small tablet, the iPod. We have a mini
and a regular iPad, tablets. And they're even working on regular household
appliances. And lets not forget about the Apple TV, which makes hulu
accessible. So why have notetakers? I'd say, word processing. But I'm willing
to bet that if we can get enough programmers who are blind onboard, we will
have an accessible word processer. We will have an accessible MUD client. We
will have all the programs and games and apps for iOS we want. So just have
patients everyone, the Apple ride will succeed.
sent from my Mac Mini with iCloud.
Devin prater
email and iMessage: d.pra...@me.com or r.d.t.pra...@gmail.com
Skype: