Am Donnerstag, 25. Oktober 2007 schrieb Tim Teulings:
> Hello!
>
> IMHO this discussion is important, but needs some kick to start
> discussing real concrete solutions in more detail and to agree on
> suggested behavior. I would suggest to continue discussing but in the
> end of each of you mails define short statements, that summarize your
> idea and ideally are a "patch" to this or a similar list (especially my
> conclusion could be more concrete and shorter :-)) and especially agree
> or disagree explicitly on points already suggested to get a common opinion.
>
> So I try to summarize and extract the key points already mentioned.
>
> Problem
> =======
>
> - Nokia: There are many applications that would increase the wealth of
>    our product, but me must guaranty
>    + Quality (Quality)
>    + Ease of use (Simplicity)
> - Nokia: We want to centralize the development to just make things
>    easier", "simpler" and add service - without compromising the open
>    source idea. (Simplicity, centric)
> - Nokia: We want to multiply by delegating task to the community
>    (Scalability)
> - Nokia: We must keep security in mind - nobody must be able to
>    inject bad packages etc... (Security, Control)
> - Nokia: We want to attract new developers and give them a guided
>    testing bed (Iterative)
> - User: There are a huge number of applications. Most of the
>    applications would promote the devices and the platform, but it is
>    difficult to
>    + find the application (Locate)
>    + judge, if the application has "quality" (Quality)
> - Developer: Developers have problems to promote their software
>   (Promote)
> - Developer: It is difficult to assure that the application
>    is installing and running well on all devices (Quality assurance)
> - Developer: There are multiple platforms and I need to do building for
>    them all manually (Build management).
> - Developer: Not every developer is similar. The process must support
>    + Garage
>    + External projects but local packaging
>    + External projects (Flexible)
>

> Claims
> ======
>
> This results in solving problems that can be described by the following
> key points (I admit that these are very common problems when working in
> the software development process ;-)): We need a process that...
>
> - Defines Quality
> - Assures Quality
> - Is simple
> - Is somewhat centric
> - Is scalable
> - Assures security and control over the process
> - Is iterative for developers
> - Helps user finding a application
> - Helps promoting software
> - Eases building packages
> - Must be flexible regarding package sources
>
> Comments
> ========

> [...]

Hi Tim

That really is a long mail ;-)
What you describe sounds like the ultimate solution. In my option it is okay
to think about the how-it-should-be state. This also points out a direction
where the discussion and later the process could possibly move to. I also
agree with you on the key aspects such as simplicity, security and
flexability.

Where you come from the top I look at it in smaller steps (pragmatic approach)
to improve things. I would build on the infrastructure that is there already:

Prototypes and early betas could reside in Garage and move up to
Extras-testing when the time is ready (product owner asks for permission).

If you (as a developer) want your application to move ahead to Extras then the
app must have a quality mark above certain value. The comunity (maemo
members, Nokia and the rest of us) votes on different attributes (usability,
stability, integration, ...) at maemo-Downloads.

This should not lead to a complete redesign of the infrastructure. It should
rather improves what is there already. Steady evolution instead of a brake.

Regards Krischan

PS: It is damn late already.