On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 6:03 AM, Paul Smith <p...@pscs.co.uk> wrote:

> On 13/12/2016 21:41, Eric Henson wrote:
>
>> Google's spam system--as published in their whitepaper some years
>> ago--penalizes email when users mark the emails as spam. So if I mark that
>> email as spam without reading it, then the next guy to get one like that is
>> more likely to have the email end up in the spam bucket.
>>

> Yes, I'd say that subjects like the examples given look very spammy, so
> users are more likely just to mark them as spam without opening them. The
> emojis won't help, but even without those, the subjects look spammy. Once
> many people start marking them as spam, the reputation of the sender will
> drop.
>
> 'Intriguing' subject lines may sound good on the face of it, but they are
> designed to get people to open messages without knowing what they are going
> to get - which is a very spammy thing to do. Nowadays, the subject should
> tell you exactly what you're going to get when you open the message, and be
> something that the user is expecting.

FWIW, we have some internal folks who think that "cutesy" subject lines are
a way to get people to read their internal status updates. I mark 'em as
spam and haven't been bothered with them after having done that on about 10
of them (they automatically disappear into the spam folder since then).

--Kurt