Atro,

I did not forget that we know each other. I remember meeting you and Pekka
for the first time in Dublin back in 2015.

I appreciate the added perspective here. It sounded like you were
suggesting that ESPs do not suppress invalid email addresses. But it sounds
like you are aware that ESPs do suppress invalid email addresses, but you
believe they should suppress them across their entire user base. That is a
different discussion. Unfortunately, this is fraught with all sorts of
issues. The primary one being the unreliable nature of SMTP responses. Just
one example that is top of mind is Telstra/Bigpond. They will return "5xx
No such user" when one of their users has a lapse in payment. The mailbox
becomes valid again when the user pays their bill. Another example: when I
was at SendGrid, we did some analysis on bad addresses. We took every
address that returned some flavor of "no such user" in a 6 month period. We
then looked at how many of those addresses came back and engaged with mail
at a later date (the following 6 month period). It turned out that
something like 1% of invalid addresses would come back to life and become
engaged with email again. Also, we were careful to not take a single pixel
load or a single URL firing as "proof" the mailbox was back to life. Now,
1% is a small number, but it was 10s of millions of addresses. It would
simply not be appropriate to permanently suppress these addresses on behalf
of 80,000-100,000 distinct senders and organizations using SendGrid to send
their email.

Its hard for me to hear things like "ESPs don't suppress addresses" when I
worked at an ESP where we had discussions about whether it was ethical to
charge people for trying to send to addresses that we were suppressing on
their behalf. ESPs suppress bad addresses, just not the way you would like
them to. That is a discussion worth having, we just need to be clear on the
terms of the discussion.

Luke