> On 15 Apr 2022, at 18:29, Luis E. Muñoz via mailop <mailop@mailop.org> wrote:
>

> Dnia 15.04.2022 o godz. 16:53:11 Laura Atkins via mailop pisze:
>
> "EU.org, free domain names since 1996”
>
> You quoted that. Eu.org is a *domain registrar*. Only. They don't offer any
> email service and never did. So how can they "police users for email"?
>
> Do you know any paid domain registrar - for example for .com domain - that
> "polices users for email", if they don't host any email for the user?
>
> There are many who claim that there's a correlation between easily, cheap (or
> free) domain names and spam. Their rationale is that spammers can secure
> disposable domain names for very low price.
>
> Therefore, they claim, domain names meeting that criteria need to be
> subjected to additional scrubbing. Less sophisticated receivers could simply
> opt to reject while providers with more sophisticated mechanisms could
> implement that "additional scrubbing" in the form of tighter tolerances,
> starting the "reputation calculation" from a lower value or whatever makes
> sense to them.
>
> Their common goal according to this narrative, is to reduce the amount of
> spam these mailbox providers have to deliver to their products/clients.

The most recent Spamhaus botnet update report addresses this very nicely and
provides direct evidence that free domain registrations are heavily abused.

https://www.spamhaus.com/custom-content/uploads/2022/04/Botnet-Report-Q1-2022.pdf

<https://www.spamhaus.com/custom-content/uploads/2022/04/Botnet-Report-Q1-2022.pdf>

"A more detailed review of our data reveals that the majority of fraudulent
domain registrations within Freenom’s TLDs are not linked to highly advanced
and sophisticated threat actors, but users of freely available crimeware kits
that they have bought for a few bucks on the dark web. These somewhat “amateur”
threat actors do not have the same financial resources as more “professional”
cybercriminals. Therefore, it is no surprise that they try to (ab)use services
that are available for free – such as Freenom offers.”

Spamhaus ultimately concludes that section: "It’s evident that where there’s a
freebie, there’s abuse!”

laura

--
The Delivery Experts