> On 15 Apr 2022, at 18:29, Luis E. Muñoz via mailop <mailop@mailop.org> wrote:
>
> On 15 Apr 2022, at 12:50, Jaroslaw Rafa via mailop wrote:
>
> Dnia 15.04.2022 o godz. 16:53:11 Laura Atkins via mailop pisze:
>
> "EU.org, free domain names since 1996”
>
> You quoted that. Eu.org is a *domain registrar*. Only. They don't offer any
> email service and never did. So how can they "police users for email"?
>
> Do you know any paid domain registrar - for example for .com domain - that
> "polices users for email", if they don't host any email for the user?
>
> There are many who claim that there's a correlation between easily, cheap (or
> free) domain names and spam. Their rationale is that spammers can secure
> disposable domain names for very low price.

That wasn’t what I was claiming, honestly. what I was saying is that he doesn’t
know what other folks are doing with eu.org <http://eu.org/>, yet he’s sharing
reputation with absolutely everyone who is using that registration service. And
that there’s a very low barrier to entry to getting a .eu.org <http://eu.org/>
domain. And given the domain registration runs off donations and volunteers
there’s likely no one actively policing the use of the domain.

.eu.org <http://eu.org/> is, essentially, a tld. And .tlds have their own
reputation, too. Just this week a few of us were talking about ‘weird’ tlds.
One of the participants works at a filtering company, checked their stats and
said “this particular tld is 9x% spam.” So 9+ times in 10 when they see a
domain registered in that tld, it’s spam.

Would you really hold it against that company, given the data they have, if
they blocked all mail with that tld in it? Given that it’s 90+% guaranteed that
tld is spam? What if 90+% of the mail in the .eu.org <http://eu.org/> tld is
also spam? Does it make more sense to block mail containing that domain? Or are
we just refusing to consider any domain based blocking at all?

Filters generally make sense, but they often have access to data that we, as
senders, don’t.

Of course, that doesn’t mean the filters are always right. I’ve certainly been
able to demonstrate that filters are wrong and get ISPs to stop using them. One
of the times that stands out was a major anti-spam vendor was following on
every link in an email - including the closed loop confirmation link - and then
listing the COI-only IPs that sent mail after the confirmation. They refused to
change what they were doing and continued to insist the only fix was to send
COI mail. (How? you’re confirming your addresses want the mail and then listing
it). We collected enough evidence that this was happening and shared it with
the appropriate decision makers.  The filter didn’t stop being stupid, but at
least one of the cable companies using that particular blocklist stopped.

I am pretty sure, though, that yelling on mailop has never convinced a
filtering company to change their approach.

laura

--
The Delivery Experts

Laura Atkins