On 9/12/22 2:44 PM, Dave Crocker wrote:
While that view has some logic to it, it probably isn't the most practical view, especial in a forum like this and a topic like this.

I'll suggest that the criterion to apply is:  Control over all reputation-related attributes and behaviors.

I can't agree to that.

I think that is effectively / functionally a form of gating.

It probably precludes anybody using PA address(es) on their email server(s).

I also believe that "control over all reputation-related attributes and behaviors" is impossible as stated. $NAME_YOUR_ESP_OF_CHOICE has no control over the reputation-related attributes that I configure on my server.

In this case, using a platform provider means you are fate-sharing your reputation, given that they supply the IP address.

Agreed. But I don't think that such fate-sharing /precludes/ hosting your own email.

Though admittedly, it may imply deliverability issues. The question becomes do those delliverability issues matter to you?

And, yes, pretty much everyone gets their IP Address from someone other than an RIR.  But if the platform computing is being provided to you by a service, the odds are that the IP Address you use is next to someone else who might or might not be a Good Actor and that your IP Address reputation will be affected by their actions.

The same could be said for a company co-locating a physical server in a data center in another town.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die