On 20.10.22 14:51, Jaroslaw Rafa via mailop wrote:
So basically they require anybody who runs a mail server to put their street
address and telephone number online to be publicly available???

Crazy idea. And this is the same country that banned Google Street View
(probably as a single country in the world?), on the basis that pictures of
individuals' houses were available online for anybody to view?

Something's completely inconsistent here.

One could hold that view, yes. OTOH, it's what Deutsche Telekom
requests from you, not the state ...

As someone already said in this discussion, while the requirement to put
such data online is perfectly valid for companies, for individuals it's
nothing more than an endorsement for criminal activity.

Well, just use your ISP's submission service, problem solved.
Or pay someone to MX you domain, problem solved.

If some madman does not like what I write anywhere on the Internet (for example
on my blog,

As a German, you have to have an imprint on anything that is considered a
"service", yes, even on your personal, non-monetized blog. It the law ;) And
also off-topic here.

I would understand if I had to provide this information *to T-Online only*,
so they can contact me in case of any malicious activity from my server, but
there is no way I put this information publicly available.

I could see some GDPR questions with that, so I can understand they
don't want to start such an internal database. Hence "ony commercial
servers are allowed", make some kind of sense to me.

[…] on this absurd
requirement. It cannot be even justified by German law, which requires (as
far as I know) *German* websites to have such an impressum, because people
operating mail servers who may want to send mail to T-Online are not
necessarily German, so German law does not apply to them.

Well, it's a kind of non-written contractual agreement: you want your
mailserver to be able to sent to t-online.de, they want to know who you are.
You're free not to agree to the terms, so where's law involved anyway?

Again: I strongly oppose reject-unless-whitelisted-before for an automated
service like SMTP. But I don't see a legal lever against it (with one
exception noted yesterday), and as this basically only puts a strong burden
on private people running personal mailservers – which is what percentage
on global mail traffic? –, frankly: who cares? As you pointed out, any
business basically has to have their contact details present on the Internet
anyway.

And, to point this out again: the subject of this thread already has been
disproven — t-online.de/Deutsche Telekom/t...@rx.t-online.de is still white-
listing personal mailservers, as long as the criteria on their postmaster
page are met.

No policy change as far as I can see, just a new wording on rejection. Same
old, IMHO shitty, policy, but well.

So: move on, nothing to see here ;)
-kai