Yes, as we all know.. threat teams and spam filtering teams spend a LOT of resources on those.. but when you see exactly the same samples year after year, you have to question their motivation.. (right now 'their' meaning specifically Gmail and o265)

And 'rejecting' the messages IS possible, but it's whack a mole, and telling the bad guys you know how to stop their messages (eg via a 5xx) means they simply adept.

Tried 4xx responses, thinking maybe they (gmail) look at the queues, but as Brandon once said.. it's such a small drop in the bucket.. don't know if they look at their queues unless a gmail paying customer complains..)

And a few phishing actors that found they were being blocked, simply moved to using compromised/free gmail accounts.. And of course, the sources are always obfuscated.

Oh, and ..

   Subject: 1st page Of Google

 .. always gets through ;0

Marketers with domains on Google (paying) always get their emails out, users of Gsuite, Groups, and other Google tools, the emails get out.

The thing is, for most people, these are all in the Spam folder. Which makes you wonder, if the simplest of spamassassin default rules can catch it, how is it that the big guys can't? Especially with the resources they can put to it if they wanted..

I mean.. the nigerian spam leakage has been leaking from them for 20 years.. some of those obvious ones, should trigger automatic suspension of the accounts, right?

Millions of dollars in loses can be attributed to these types of scams, and frankly Comsumer Protection agencies should be all over them.. you can make up your own reasons why they aren't.

So, maybe you are right.. maybe the industry as a whole has to step up and say enough is enough.. but again.. 'Too big to block'. If anyone blocked Gmail, they wouldn't be around very long.

Maybe the next step is to simply filter all gmail, to a Gmail folder, and let the users decide for themselves.

We have to give credit where credit is due, the RBL operators have been fighting the good fight for a long time, but we can't expect that to be the solution.

End of the week for me.. was planning on a "State of Union" email this week, but since the large amount of Gmail spam was part of that report, opted to respond to your email instead.