According to Mark E. Mallett via mailop <m...@schmem.com>:
>On Mon, Jul 15, 2024 at 05:08:49PM +0200, Marco Moock via mailop wrote:
>> Am 15.07.2024 um 22:39:34 Uhr schrieb Jeff Pang via mailop:
>>
>> > When I deploy a new mailserver, I consider postfix, exim and qmail.
>>
>> At least when visiting the website, qmail's last release is more than
>> 25 years ago. That is something I entirely don't recommend to use.
>
>I'm not sure that even 25 years ago the official version (from the
>website, unpatched) was completely usable). Most anyone running it has
>probably applied some of the many patches that have been written, and
>removed and/or replaced some of the original code. That's kind of a
>daunting approach when using it from scratch these days, although some
>suppliers and OSes make it a bit easy.

I think qmail is swell but at this point there's probably as much
patch as original in my copy, particularly since I use mailfront as
the SMTP daemon.  There are a couple of people with packages that
look OK.

The usual suggestions are postfix and exim.  Exim has somewhat more
built in, e.g., DKIM signing, postfix seems somewhat more popular.
Both are well supported on mailing lists with active help from the
maintainers.

Sendmail is actively maintained and works fine, but configuring it
is hard and the documentation is a 30 year stream of consciousness.
Its support is on usenet, comp.mail.sendmail, where the maintainer
is active but very grumpy.

I'm aware of other open source mail servers but none are as mature
as those three.

R's,
John