Once upon a time, John Levine <jo...@taugh.com> said:
> The usual suggestions are postfix and exim.  Exim has somewhat more
> built in, e.g., DKIM signing, postfix seems somewhat more popular.
> Both are well supported on mailing lists with active help from the
> maintainers.

I think these are the only two major Linux/BSD SMTP servers I'd
recommend as current today... but which is "better" is like asking which
color is "better", purple or green.

> Sendmail is actively maintained and works fine, but configuring it
> is hard and the documentation is a 30 year stream of consciousness.
> Its support is on usenet, comp.mail.sendmail, where the maintainer
> is active but very grumpy.

I ran sendmail for many years, got my release notes entries to show for
it. :)  It was kind of neat to be able to do wacky things with what was
essentially a programming language config, but now I think there's
better ways to get most of the same stuff done with milters, policy
maps, etc.
--
Chris Adams <c...@cmadams.net>