On Mon, Jul 15, 2024 at 02:04:09PM -0500, Chris Adams via mailop wrote:
> I ran sendmail for many years, got my release notes entries to show for
> it. :)  It was kind of neat to be able to do wacky things with what was
> essentially a programming language config, but now I think there's
> better ways to get most of the same stuff done with milters, policy
> maps, etc.

I ran sendmail for a decade or so starting in mid-1980s. For much of
that time it was all raw sendmail.cf hacking where you had to pretty
much invent anything you wanted (e.g. virtual domains), when at the time
it was difficult if not impossible to even find anybody else who wanted
it, let alone had done it, espcially without web search. (usenet, sure.)

But I moved on. When some of these things became standardized with
features and whatnot, sometimes it was harder to adapt them to fit what
I wanted.

-mm-    (early impression: oh cool, it's kinda like prolog)