On 16.07.2024 at 16:32 postfix--- via mailop wrote:

use case:  I understand the benefit of iPhone (and Android) email client
storing the access credentials on Apple's (or Google) server so that the server
polls IMAP and only wakes up the phone if there is actual mail to be fetched.

It’s news to me that the iOS email app would be storing mailbox credentials on
Apples servers. To reference another message from today: Do you have any
evidence or factual articles which support this claim?

As far as I know Apples mail app on iOS does not use IMAP IDLE, nor does their
server infrastructure. The only way that I know of to receive instant
notifications for an IMAP account on iOS is that the *server* side registers
for the Apple Push Notification Service, which allows it to relay wake up calls
to the client for folders that the client subscribed to via Apples proprietary
XAPPLEPUSHSERVICE IMAP extension. Using this method Apples servers do not poll
or access your mailbox in any way and do not need credentials for doing so.
Source: https://github.com/freswa/dovecot-xaps-daemon

That being said there are indeed other MUAs like Microsofts Outlook app or
others mentioned in this thread that send your login credentials to the
manufacturer of the app. However those apps in general do not only use the
credentials for an IMAP IDLE connection but they actually download the messages
from your mailbox.
Source:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/sync-your-account-in-outlook-to-the-microsoft-cloud-985f9e19-d308-4e85-9d1d-0c6f32f8e981<https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/sync-your-account-in-outlook-to-the-microsoft-cloud-985f9e19-d308-4e85-9d1d-0c6f32f8e981?ui=en-us&rs=en-us&ad=us>

So restricting their access will not work. Instead of implementing fine
grained, source IP based access control lists for undocumented IP addresses
that can change at any point in time I‘d recommend to move to another MUA with
more respect for the privacy of its users.

—
BR Oliver

________________________________
dmTECH GmbH
Am dm-Platz 1, 76227 Karlsruhe * Postfach 10 02 34, 76232 Karlsruhe
Telefon 0721 5592-2500 Telefax 0721 5592-2777
dmt...@dm.de<mailto:dmt...@dm.de> * www.dmTECH.de<http://www.dmtech.de>
GmbH: Sitz Karlsruhe, Registergericht Mannheim, HRB 104927
Geschäftsführer: Christoph Werner, Martin Dallmeier, Roman Melcher
Datenschutzrechtliche Informationen
Wenn Sie mit uns in Kontakt treten, beispielsweise wenn Sie an unser
ServiceCenter Fragen haben, bei uns einkaufen oder unser dialogicum in
Karlsruhe besuchen, mit uns in einer geschäftlichen Verbindung stehen oder sich
bei uns bewerben, verarbeiten wir personenbezogene Daten. Informationen unter
anderem zu den konkreten Datenverarbeitungen, Löschfristen, Ihren Rechten sowie
die Kontaktdaten unserer Datenschutzbeauftragten finden Sie
hier<https://www.dm.de/datenschutzerklaerung-kommunikation-mit-externen-493832>.