Hi,

use case:  I understand the benefit of iPhone (and Android) email client
storing the access credentials on Apple's (or Google) server so that the
server polls IMAP and only wakes up the phone if there is actual mail to
be fetched.  However, this grants the server more access than it needs
to fulfill said function.  My concern is that server, hosting access
credentials for such a multitude of user accounts, is a juicy target for
bad actors who would gain unauthorized access and use the harvested
credentials.

Which iPhone / Android clients do you mean? AFAIK iPhone Mail and Android's Gmail client use direct logins without a third party server. But there are some other clients out there (Bluemail?) which store logins on a server.

Regards
Bjoern